Harford History

October 23, 2005

1867: SCHOOL FOR `COLORED PEOPLE'

On Oct. 26, 1867, Joseph Peaker and several trustees of the Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church arranged to build "a school for the colored people of Havre de Grace." The Anderson Institute was built on Stokes Street on land that Peaker inherited from his father, Cupid Peaker, and sold to the trustees. Though the institute no longer stands, the Hosanna School remained in its place for many years. Cupid Peaker and his sons Joseph and James were at the forefront of the struggle for equality in Harford County. To honor James Peaker, the Mount Zion Church was later changed to St. James AME Church.

[C. Weeks, "An Architectural History of Harford County, Maryland."]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.