Week In Review

October 23, 2005

Anne Arundel

Worker loses hand in paper shredder

A 22-year-old worker lost his right hand Monday when it became ensnared in a paper shredder he was operating at the Athelas Institute office in Hanover, authorities said. A company employee called for help at 11:52 a.m., according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

Dan Parks, 22, of Owings Mills was taken by helicopter to Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore, which has a center that treats hand injuries.

According to the company's Web site, Athelas Institute Inc. is based in Columbia and is geared for "individuals with developmental disabilities."

Maryland section, Tuesday, Oct. 18


State's students help Katrina victims

In what officials Monday said was the largest charitable fundraising campaign ever mounted by the state's public school system, students throughout Maryland collected $1.32 million for families displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

More than 680 of the state's 1,300 public schools participated in the Maryland Kids Care campaign, in which students were asked to collect pennies and other loose change for hurricane-displaced families and children from the Gulf Coast region.

The fundraising tally covered the period from Sept. 2 to Oct. 14, but relief efforts continue. The total includes donations from all 24 school districts. Students in Anne Arundel County raised $121,341.78.

Maryland section, Tuesday, Oct. 18

Anne Arundel

Man pleads guilty to 2 counts of arson

Taye Willie Lynn, 19, pleaded guilty in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court on Wednesday to two counts of arson.

Last spring, Lynn set fire to his family's home while his parents were at church. His parents bailed him out of jail and took him to the family's new apartment.

Three months later, Lynn set fire to the new apartment.

Lynn was released to his parents' custody for an emergency mental health examination with an eye toward in-patient treatment. If not admitted, he will go on house arrest at his parents' temporary dwelling in Glen Burnie and, perhaps in a few weeks, back to the family home now nearly rebuilt after the first fire. Judge Joseph P. Manck sentenced Lynn to two consecutive three-year prison terms, plus 10 years' probation. All but one year of house arrest was suspended, and Manck said that when arrangements for treatment are made, he will adjust the arson sentences.

Maryland section, Thursday, Oct. 20

Anne Arundel

Renaissance Festival fire incident probed

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department is investigating an incident at the Maryland Renaissance Festival in Crownsville in which two audience members were burned during a flame-throwing act.

David Duvall of Bridgeville, Del., was singed and his 2-year-old daughter, Autumn, suffered second-degree burns Oct. 16 after the father volunteered for what he thought would be a harmless stunt, allowing a member of the Aerial Angels performance group to put protective gel on his shaved head and light it on fire.

The group had not requested required permits from the state and county fire marshal's offices to perform with fire, officials said, adding that if they had applied, they would have been turned down.

The county fire marshal has ordered the festival to stop using fire in performances.

Maryland section, Friday, Oct. 21

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.