Carroll History

October 23, 2005|By SUN RESEARCHER SHELIA JACKSON

1949: BUS SERVICE FOR WESTMINSTER

Intracity bus service begins in Westminster. Two 21-passenger buses made their inaugural 3-mile route on October 17, 1949. The bus route begins at Buckingham Avenue and Westminster Road and ends at Pennsylvania Avenue near Hersch Street. Bus fare is 10 cents for adults and 5 cents for children. Five Carroll Countians created United Enterprises to establish bus service in the town. They assert that this is the first time Westminster, with a population of nearly 5,000, has had intracity bus service.

[The Evening Sun, October 19, 1949. Compiled by Sun researcher Shelia Jackson.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.