Harford History

October 16, 2005

Oct. 17, 1851: The Titus Sisters

By the mid-19th century, Baltimore was booming with construction, industrial activity, population and pestilence. A number of wealthy Baltimoreans found reprieve from the summer heat and busy city life near Little Gunpowder. It seemed rather unusual that three Quaker sisters from faraway New Rochelle, N.Y., also chose Fallston as a retreat. But that is exactly what Mary, Rebecca and Lydia Titus did. On Oct. 17, 1851, the sisters purchased 22 acres from Thomas Bond and built "Rochelle." The house was soon famous for its true Greek revival style, with its square plan and deep verandas.

[An Architectural History of Harford County, Maryland, by Christopher Weeks. Research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.