Terps men defeat UNC, 4-1

2nd-ranked Maryland women sticked aside by Old Dominion, 4-1

Soccer -- Field Hockey

October 15, 2005|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

No. 12 Maryland took advantage of some early chances and then pulled away in the second half to defeat No. 10 North Carolina, 4-1, last night at Ludwig Field in a men's game televised nationally by Fox Soccer Channel.

The Terps (10-3-0, 4-1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) recorded their fifth straight win and sixth consecutive against a ranked opponent. The Tar Heels (9-3-1, 1-3-1 ACC) have lost three of their past four, including three straight in conference.

"We knew we would be have to be good in the final third, and our execution on counterattacks was exquisite," coach Sasho Cirovski said. "UNC did the best job of possessing the ball against us than any other team we've faced, so it was important that we converted on our chances."

Despite good chances by the Tar Heels in the early going, Maryland's Robbie Rogers scored the first goal of the game on a rebound at 20:55 after North Carolina goalkeeper Ford Williams attempted to pull down a ball on a cross but lost possession as he came to the ground. Chris Lancos followed two minutes later with a goal on an assist off Maurice Edu's chest.

Maryland had no letup in the second half as Edu scored on a cross from A.J. Godbolt in the 47th minute and Jason Garey notched Maryland's fourth goal in the 54th minute with a one-on-one move just outside the box. Garey has scored in five straight games.

The Tar Heels got on the board in the 65th minute on a goal by Brian Shriver.

Field hockey -- No. 2 Maryland suffered its second loss of the season, falling to No. 8 Old Dominion, 4-1, at the Terps' Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex. Old Dominion (11-4) took command in the first half, attempting 11 shots and scoring four times while limiting the Terps (14-2) to just four shot attempts. The Lady Monarchs' Janelle Engle got things started quickly, converting a penalty corner 1:05 into the game. Maryland held off Old Dominion for the next 24 minutes, but a goal by Shannon Mobley at 25:10 gave Old Dominion a 2-0 lead. Three minutes later, Denise Admiraal brought the lead to 3-0. Admiraal scored again with less than a minute remaining in the half to put the Lady Monarchs in front 4-0. Senior Stephanie Marsh scored an unassisted goal, breaking up the shutout just five minutes into the second half and making the score 4-1.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.