Howard History

October 09, 2005

1687: Shipley's grant

The first large land grant in what is now Howard County was patented Oct. 1, 1687, to Adam Shipley, who came to Maryland from England in 1668. A historical marker on Route 108 between U.S. 29 and Route 175 marks a section of the western boundary of the 500-acre grant. Shipley family cemetery is among the trees to the east of the marker.

Source: The Complete Guide to Maryland Historical Markers

[ Sun researcher Paul McCardell contributed to this item.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.