William Ford, 84, industrial inspector, duckpin bowler

September 30, 2005

William Ford, a retired industrial inspector and avid duckpin bowler, died of prostate cancer Sept. 23 at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care. The Perry Hall resident was 84.

Mr. Ford was born in Virginia and came to Baltimore with his family as an infant. He was a 1939 graduate of Polytechnic Institute, and during World War II served with an Army infantry unit in the Pacific theater.

From 1946 to 1953, he was an inspector at the old Glenn L. Martin Co. plant in Middle River. He was a Koppers Co. inspector for 17 years, and then worked for Environmental Elements from 1970 until retiring in 1985.

Mr. Ford was a longtime volunteer with Big Brothers and the Salvation Army. He also ushered at the Hippodrome Theatre and was a member of the Rosedale Post of Veterans of Foreign Wars.

He bowled for years in two leagues at Parkville Bowling Lanes. He was also a world traveler and an Orioles and Ravens fan.

"He loved to pitch horseshoes, and even though he was in a wheelchair, he was still able to enjoy the sport," said his wife of eight years, the former Mary Agnes "Salty" Saltysiak.

Mr. Ford was a communicant of St. Stephen Roman Catholic Church, 8030 Bradshaw Road, Bradshaw, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Survivors also include two sons, Bill Ford of Hot Springs Village, Ark., and Gary Ford of Portland, Ore.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. His first marriage ended in divorce. His wife of 49 years, the former Lillian Hall, died in 1993.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.