Carroll woman sentenced in fatal crash

Driver gets 10-year prison term for killing three in race to get to store before it closed

September 20, 2005|By Gina Davis | Gina Davis,Sun reporter

A Carroll County woman was sentenced yesterday to 10 years in prison for killing three people, including a family of two returning from church, in a crash as she raced at 100 mph to get to a Target store before its closing time.

Kathleen Jean McIntyre, 48, of Manchester pleaded guilty in May to three counts of vehicular manslaughter in the deaths of Shirley Mae Bosley, 70, Tammy Sue Reindollar, 34, and Anthony Norman Thomas, 14, according to court records.

She was charged with more than a dozen counts, including homicide by motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, in the May 2004 crash. A test three hours after the accident showed she had a blood-alcohol level of .06 - which a prosecutor said later indicated she had been above the legal limit of .08 at the time of the crash.

Carroll Circuit Judge Michael M. Galloway sentenced McIntyre to five years for each of the vehicular manslaughter counts, but suspended five years as part of a plea agreement. He also imposed a mandatory five years of probation when she is released.

"I just want her to sit in jail without any drugs or alcohol and think about what she has done," said Connie Massicot, Anthony's mother. The distraught mother cradled framed photographs of her youngest child, whom she called Tony.

"She has hurt a lot of people," the mother said outside the courtroom, where about a dozen relatives tried to console each other.

McIntyre - who suffered minor injuries in the crash - had faced 13 charges stemming from the accident when she was speeding to a local store to return a CD, court records showed.

Clutching a wad of tissue, McIntyre tearfully addressed the victims' families in the courtroom.

"There is nothing I can say or do" to bring back their family members, said McIntyre, who added that she has been attending Alcoholics Anonymous since the accident and has spoken to groups about the dangers of drinking and driving. "Every time I ride down Route 27, I pray ... for you guys and I pray you have time to grieve."

She said that her life had been in a downward spiral before the accident, punctuated by her husband's cancer death in 2002.

"This is not an excuse, but an attempt to explain how my life had spiraled out of control," she said. "I wanted to die. ... I am truly sorry."

When McIntyre was arrested at her Montgomery County job last November on the accident charges, police said they found cocaine in her possession.

McIntyre was convicted in March on the drug charges and sentenced to one year of probation.

She said in court yesterday that after the accident she became addicted to cocaine, heroin, OxyContin and amphetamines.

Galloway said the case "represents every judge's nightmare because every day we see people come before us who are substance abusers or alcohol abusers. ... You're always hoping you're not turning them loose to take someone's life."

McIntyre, of the 3200 block of Main St., was driving her 1987 Chevrolet Corvette on Route 27 near Route 30 in Manchester on May 19, 2004, at 9:47 p.m., according to court records.

She was trying to make it to the Target store in Westminster before it closed at 10 p.m., said David P. Daggett, deputy state's attorney for Carroll County.

Her car struck a northbound 1997 Subaru Legacy station wagon driven by Bosley, who was attempting to turn left into a driveway in front of McIntyre, police said. Bosley had just left church with Reindollar, her niece, and was returning to their home in the 2800 block of Manchester Road. Both died in the crash.

Thomas, also of Manchester, a passenger in McIntyre's car, died later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center of injuries he suffered when he was thrown from the vehicle, police said.

McIntyre's daughter, Christina McIntyre, now 17, who was sitting on Thomas' lap in the front seat of the Corvette, was seriously injured when she was also thrown from the car, police said. Both were riding in the front passenger seat without a seat belt.

"Accidents happen every day, but this was totally avoidable," said Mark Massicot, Thomas' stepfather, who moved the family to Crystal River, Fla., soon after the accident. "She [McIntyre] gets a chance to get out someday; Tony doesn't."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.