On Sept. 13, 1779, the Rev. Charles Sewall purchased from Martin Preston of Harford County 2 acres that were part of Denis' Choice to be the site of St. Ignatius Church. The church in Hickory was founded as a Jesuit mission. Part of the present chapel structure dates from the original chapel built in 1792. The church was dedicated by Archbishop John Carroll on Sept. 27, 1792. It became an established parish in 1815 with the appointment of the Rev. Roger Smith as pastor.
-- "St. Ignatius, Hickory, and its Missions," by Clarence V. Joerndt; Maryland State Archives Web site