No. 6 Loyola pulls off 1-1 tie with No. 4 Curley

Dons' Deasel squares it with under 3 minutes left

Boys soccer

High Schools

September 08, 2005|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

Down a goal and frustrated on offense all afternoon against No. 4 Archbishop Curley yesterday, the visiting No. 6 Loyola boys soccer team could have easily been a step slow in the final minutes.

Instead, the Dons were quick and eager.

Junior midfielder Mike Deasel made a run to goal and found the ball there at the same time as Eric Noto flicked ahead a long throw-in from Tim Dubyoski.

Deasel finished off the chance in the left corner with just under three minutes left in regulation and, after two 10-minute overtime periods ended scoreless, the Dons had themselves a satisfying, 1-1 draw with their Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference opponent.

"That's exactly one of the things we've been talking about in the offensive third - getting in the box and anticipating where the ball may end up," said Loyola coach Kyle Swords.

"Too many times, we've found ourselves a little flat-footed. Finally, we got a couple runners in there and the ball happened to be flicked right to [Deasel's] foot and he did well to stay composed and easily tap it in. That was nice."

While the Dons' early-season problem has been finishing off chances, Curley coach Barry Stitz saw his early concern come back and bite the Friars, who have struggled with their marking, particularly in close.

After the Dons put together a strong first half with chances, but no goals, the Friars converted a penalty kick early in the second half - junior forward B.J. Quigley putting the ball away in the left corner - for a 1-0 lead and were able to more effectively push forward the rest of the way.

"Our biggest problem so far," said Stitz, "has been staying with runners inside the box - anywhere - and when you do that with a team that's down a goal and has their back up against the wall at the end of the game, they're going to be hungry in the box like that.

"I don't think it was the prettiest game, but when you got two teams playing hard like that, that's what you're going to get. I thought both teams had a chance to win today."

Deasel was happy to be in the right place at the right time to help his team get the draw.

"We just kept trying to come back," he said. "It just came off somebody's head and I was there. It felt great, especially so near the end of the game."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.