Calvert Hall charges past No. 7 Severna Park, 4-2

Four straight goals propel Cardinals from 1-0 deficit

Boys soccer

High Schools

September 07, 2005|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

It took the No. 3 Calvert Hall boys soccer team some time to settle into the 2005 season in its opener at No. 7 Severna Park last night. Just a little while.

After yielding an early goal, the Cardinals made sure to take advantage of all opportunities, responding with speed, skill and four straight goals to come away with a 4-2 win.

Junior Marco Mangione scored two goals, with Ernest Jackson and Christian Barreiro providing the others, as the Cardinals got the better of the play against a formidable Falcons side in the traditional out-of-league contest.

After the Falcons had the better of the play in the first 10 minutes, rewarded with a goal from Sean Kelly in the sixth minute, the Cardinals took over with a penalty kick from Mangione followed by goals from Barreiro and Jackson in a two-minute span late in the first half.

"They started pressing us pretty early, and we had to get the jitters out," said Jackson, who neatly placed a left-footed shot from 14 yards with 9:04 left in the first half to give the Cardinals a 3-1 lead. "After they got the first goal, everybody put their heads down a little. But we got back working after a couple minutes, and we got that first goal and then gaps started opening up for us and we started playing a lot better."

Calvert Hall coach Andy Moore, who is two victories away from 100, expected the Falcons to come out fast on their home field. He also knew it would take some time for his Cardinals to adjust to playing under the lights and on higher grass compared to their home turf.

"They really pushed the pace early on, coming with a lot of numbers, and it took our guys a little time to get settled in, giving up that first goal woke us up a little bit," he said.

The Falcons did their share of pushing but could find the timely finish. Senior Taylor Young had a chance to get a goal back in the opening moments of the second half when he found space along the right side, but Calvert Hall keeper Kyle Wittman cut down the angle to make the save.

After Mangione scored his second goal of the game midway through the second half, Young went on to close out the scoring with four minutes to play.

"I thought it was a great game -- both teams played wonderfully," said Severna Park coach Bob Thomas.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.