Sosa unsure if he will be ready to play Saturday

Notebook

September 06, 2005|By Jeff Zrebiec | Jeff Zrebiec,SUN STAFF

Outfielder Sammy Sosa, who hasn't played since Aug. 26 because of a lesion on his right big toe, was back in the Orioles' clubhouse yesterday, but he isn't sure whether he'll be ready to play when he is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list Saturday.

Sosa, who had a team doctor look at his foot yesterday, said that he still feels pain but that it is improving steadily.

"I feel pain but not that much pain," said Sosa, who showed reporters his injured toe, from which half of his nail was removed. "It was right under the nail and right in the middle. That's where the pain is. It's something I've got to deal with."

The club hadn't been able to get in contact with Sosa before yesterday, although interim manager Sam Perlozzo said Sosa called head trainer Richie Bancells while the team was in Toronto, but Bancells didn't get the message right away.

Sosa dispelled talk that he has played his last game this season.

"If I'm available, of course I'm going to play," Sosa said. "I know how to play. I know it has not been one of the more beautiful years I've had in my career. You have to keep fighting."

Roster moves

The Orioles yesterday recalled reliever Aaron Rakers and catcher Eli Whiteside - both from Triple-A Ottawa - and purchased the contract of shortstop Ed Rogers, also of Ottawa.

To make room for Rogers on the 40-man roster, the Orioles recalled injured reliever John Parrish from Double-A Bowie and placed him on the 60-day disabled list. Parrish had Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his left elbow in July.

Perlozzo said that even though Bowie's season ended yesterday, it's unlikely that any Baysox players will be called up, at least not right away.

Around the horn

Perlozzo didn't start Melvin Mora yesterday because the third baseman was 0-for-12 in his career off Toronto Blue Jays starter Gustavo Chacin and because Mora is also dealing with an illness in the family. Mora grounded out as a pinch hitter during the eighth inning. ...

Perlozzo is seeking a way to get Walter Young, the burly left-handed first baseman who was recalled from Triple-A Ottawa last week but still hasn't played, some at-bats, but that may be tough in this series because Toronto is starting three left-handers, including Chacin. Young was on deck yesterday when B.J. Surhoff popped out to end the game. ...

Tickets are still available for tonight's game, before which the Orioles will commemorate the 10th anniversary of Cal Ripken's record-breaking 2,131st consecutive game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.