Terps' McCray faces 3 charges

Senior guard allegedly resisted arrest Sunday

College Basketball

August 30, 2005|By Heather A. Dinich | Heather A. Dinich,SUN STAFF

UPPER MARLBORO - Chris McCray, a senior captain on the Maryland men's basketball team, was arrested early Sunday morning and charged with resisting arrest and two other misdemeanor counts by Prince George's County police after an altercation with about 15 other individuals.

According to court documents, the Terps' second-leading scorer from last season needed a one-second shot of pepper spray on his face to be placed under arrest after he escaped the first time.

Campus and county police separated two large groups around 3:20 a.m. at the intersection of Knox Road and Baltimore Avenue in College Park.

According to the documents, police saw McCray making gestures to a man in the other group, leading them to believe he was challenging the man to a fight after being asked to leave. Three people tried to remove him from the situation, but McCray, 21, allegedly continued to insinuate he wanted to fight.

Police reported that they stepped between McCray and the other man, who was trying to walk away.

Police gave this account of what followed:

Officer David LaRose told McCray to leave the area, but he continued to pursue the other man. Several people who were with McCray were pulling and pushing at him, pleading with him to comply with the officer's order.

LaRose said he asked McCray to leave more than 10 times. Instead, McCray tried to push through the officer to get to the other group.

LaRose then told McCray he was under arrest and tried to handcuff him, but McCray pulled away. LaRose responded with a one-second shot of pepper spray on McCray's face. McCray then ran across Knox Road, where he was eventually caught.

The university released a statement yesterday that read: "The athletics department will await the outcome of the judicial process before making a determination on the case in accordance with the University's Student-Athlete Code of Conduct."

After spending Sunday night in the Prince George's County Detention Center, McCray was released on his own recognizance yesterday. He will receive his court date in the mail.

Two of the charges, resisting arrest and second-degree escape, are both punishable by three years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine.

The other charge, failure to obey a reasonable or lawful order, is punishable by 60 days and/or a $500 fine.

McCray, a 6-foot-5 guard from Capitol Heights, averaged 14.1 points and 4.3 rebounds last season. He could not be reached to comment last night.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.