This Month In County History

1942: Westminster dedicates City Hall

August 21, 2005

Finally, on Aug. 16, 1942, Westminster got its own City Hall.

The city had long rented space in stores, homes, hotels and the firehouse. But for the first time since the town was laid out in 1764, Westminster's government officials have a City Hall they are not renting.

John K. Longwell built the Mansion House in 1842 for his wife. The building atop Emerald Hill was purchased in 1939 and was renovated to become the new Westminster City Hall. The dedication ceremony consisted of a parade and the presentation of a giant flag given to the city by Westminster Times editor H. Peyton Gorsuch. After the ceremony, Westminster residents toured their new City Hall.- The Sun, Aug. 17, 1942

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.