Main Street in Union Bridge came to be because it once was the line that separated land owned by two members of the Farquhar family. The Farquhars, of Pennsylvania, were among the early settlers of Union Bridge.
On Aug. 7, 1747, William Farquhar was granted 122 acres called the Forest of Need in Union Bridge. Samuel Farquhar possessed the land that was south of William's. The line that divided their property eventually became a road, which came to be Union Bridge's Main Street.