This Month In County History

1869: Deed drawn up for 'Freetown' church

August 05, 2005

On Aug. 10, 1869, a deed was drawn up that, for $25, granted 2 acres at the current site of Locust United Methodist Church, near Atholton High School. The area was known as "Freetown," home to a community founded by freed slaves, according to Marion E. Jackson's article about Freetown in Howard's Roads to the Past.

"The Church existed in the homes of the freed slaves before this time," Jackson writes. "Today we have families who are direct descendants of the original founders of Locust Church. They tell wonderful stories of weeklong church revivals, ice cream socials down in the grove of locust trees next to the chuch, and a meeting place for the area residents.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.