Community Q&q

July 31, 2005

THE QUESTION: Has the Howard County Fair always been in West Friendship?

The first fair, in 1946, was held at Brendel's Manor Park, near the junction of U.S. 40 and Route 144 in western Ellicott City. The fair moved to Ellicott City High School the next year, then to Laurel Raceway for two years. It moved back to the park and then back to the school before the fair board purchased 23 acres in West Friendship in 1953. Another 54.8 acres was added to the fairgrounds in 1971.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.