Marlins less likely to trade Burnett anywhere

`Bridge has been burned' with Orioles, source says


FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The Florida Marlins will still listen to offers for A.J. Burnett, but their appetite for moving the prospective free agent has dulled considerably.

Encouraged by the team's strong play to close out a three-city road trip, the Marlins have told people they are "going forward as [they] are."

That could change with a subpar homestand or with a surprisingly strong proposal before Sunday afternoon's non-waiver trade deadline, but the Marlins essentially believe another team would have to overpay to get Burnett.

That includes the Orioles, with whom the Marlins spent the better part of a month in near-constant trade talks. After nearly consummating a three-way deal involving the Texas Rangers late last week, the Marlins were crestfallen when the Orioles instead dealt struggling right-handed starter Sidney Ponson to the San Diego Padres for fallen slugger Phil Nevin.

When Nevin exercised his contractual right to reject a deal to the Orioles on Monday night, there was some thought that might open the door for the Marlins and Orioles to renew discussions. However, two industry sources said that was not the case.

"I believe that bridge has been burned," one of the sources said.

The Marlins continued to talk yesterday with the Arizona Diamondbacks about Triple-A reliever Matt Herges.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is a Tribune Publishing newspaper.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.