Sister Catharine Cassidy, 89, school principal

July 27, 2005

Sister Catharine Cassidy, a former principal of SS. Philip and James parochial school in Charles Village, died of an intestinal condition Saturday at Philadelphia's Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. She was 89 and lived in a Philadelphia convent.

Born Catharine Theresa Cassidy in Wilmington, Del., she joined the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia in 1932 and received the religious name of Sister Mary Euthalia.

She earned a bachelor's degree at Mount St. Mary's College in Emmitsburg and a master's from Catholic University of America. She later resumed the use of her baptismal name.

Sister Catharine began her teaching career at St. Elizabeth of Hungary school near Patterson Park and taught for many years at Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Middle River.

She was principal of the old SS. Philip and James School, at 27th Street and Maryland Avenue, from 1955 to 1961 and headed St. Lawrence School in Woodlawn in the 1960s.

Sister Catharine held other posts in the Philadelphia area, Medford, N.J., Wilmington, Washington and Orlando, Fla. At her death, she was a volunteer and greeter in the emergency room of Methodist Hospital in downtown Philadelphia.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday in Philadelphia.

Sister Catharine is survived by a brother, William Cassidy of Wilmington; and two sisters, Anna Mae Donahue of Claymont, Del., and Sally Paraskewich of Newark, Del.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.