John Luther Engel, 86, Baltimore businessman

July 21, 2005

John Luther Engel, a retired Baltimore businessman and former Towson resident, died from diabetes complications July 14 in Bradenton, Fla., where he had lived since 1993. He was 86.

Mr. Engel was born and raised on his family's Hebbville farm and attended Baltimore County public schools. During World War II, he served with the Army in Iceland as a supply sergeant.

A 1955 graduate of the University of Baltimore Law School, Mr. Engel worked for a small law firm and later for First Federated Life Insurance Co. In the 1970s, he established and operated Engel's Warehouse of Paint, and after closing the business in the 1980s established Engel's Trucking Co. in Ellicott City, which operated locally.

He was a member of the Masons' Mount Moriah Lodge 116, Boumi Temple and Scottish Rite. He was also a member of the Sahib Shrine and Manatee Shrine Club in Florida.

Mr. Engel's wife of 57 years, the former Mildred "Millie" Timanus, died in 2000.

He had been a member and deacon of Valley Presbyterian Church, 2200 W. Joppa Road, Lutherville, where a memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. July 29. Survivors include a son, K. Wayne Engel of Richmond, Va.; a daughter, Judy M. Broughton of North Port, Fla.; and two grandchildren. Another daughter, Brett Engel, died in 1971.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.