This Month In County History

1896: Cornerstone laid in Havre de Grace

July 17, 2005

On July 21, 1896, the cornerstone of Havre de Grace High School was laid, a project that eventually would cost $25,000. The City of Havre de Grace contributed $8,000, and the county commissioners provided the rest. The building was put to use Jan. 12, 1897. It was condemned in 1945 because of deficiencies in lighting and ventilation and because of its narrow corridors and stairways.

- Source: Our Harford Heritage : A History of Harford Co, MD by C. Milton Wright.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.