News from around the Baltimore region

July 11, 2005


Pa. man missing, presumed drowned in Chesapeake Bay

A Pennsylvania man was missing and presumed drowned after he began having trouble swimming two miles east of Hart-Miller Island in the Chesapeake Bay, Maryland Natural Resources police said yesterday.

Police said George Howard Gardner, 46, of Coatesville jumped off a 30-foot Catalina sailboat about 5:30 p.m. Saturday. His fiancee, 41-year-old Teri Lynn Wigginton of Sadsburyville, Pa., had stayed on the boat and saw that Gardner was having trouble.

The boat was not anchored and the sail was down, and the craft drifted away from Gardner. Wigginton began blowing the boat's horn, and within minutes another boater arrived to help and made an emergency radio call.

Eight to 10 boats responded from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, the Coast Guard, the Baltimore County Fire Department and the Baltimore County Police Department. Their crews searched until 10 p.m. Saturday, and resumed the effort at 7 a.m. yesterday.

- David Kohn


Pupils at 3 schools eligible to transfer under federal act

Pupils at Sandalwood Elementary and Lansdowne and Woodlawn middle schools are eligible under the federal No Child Left Behind Act to transfer to higher-performing schools for the 2005-2006 school year.

Parents and guardians are invited to community meetings to discuss achievement at their children's schools and details of the transfer process.

The meetings - all at 7 p.m. - are scheduled today at Sandalwood Elementary, Wednesday at Lansdowne Middle and Thursday at Woodlawn Middle.

The county school system will offer transportation for pupils who choose to attend a different school.

- Sara Neufeld


Crews complete repairs to sinkhole in highway

Traffic resumed along the northbound lanes of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway near Route 32 yesterday afternoon as crews completed work necessitated by a large sinkhole.

The hole, which appeared about 11 a.m. Friday, was blamed on heavy rain from the remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy.

U.S. Park Police Sgt. Scott Fear said workers under contract to the Army Corps of Engineers finished repairs by 3:30 p.m. yesterday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.