News from around the Baltimore region

July 09, 2005


Carbon monoxide forces restaurant evacuation

Fifteen workers at the Chevys Fresh Mex restaurant at Arundel Mills mall were hospitalized yesterday after being exposed to carbon monoxide.

The restaurant hood and duct system in the kitchen malfunctioned, said Lt. Russ Davies of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department. When fire officials checked the hood, they noticed some workers were exhibiting signs of carbon monoxide poisoning such as headache, nausea and tightness in the chest, Davies said.

They were taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center. No one was seriously harmed.

Lunchtime customers at the restaurant were evacuated but did not complain of symptoms. The rest of the mall was not affected.

- Associated Press


Trooper injured when car is rear-ended on Beltway

A Maryland state trooper stopped on the shoulder of the Baltimore Beltway near Interstate 70 was injured yesterday when his patrol car was rear-ended, a state police spokesman said.

Tfc. Michael S. Wright, 43, a 17-year veteran of the department who is assigned to the Automotive Safety Enforcement Section, was taken by ambulance to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was in good condition, said Sgt. Thornnie Rouse, a police spokesman.

Shortly before 11:30 a.m., Wright was stopped on the shoulder on the outer loop of Interstate 695. The driver of a Ford Focus saw the patrol car, slowed down and was rear-ended by a Chrysler Sebring, police said. The Ford driver swerved to the left and hit the rear of Wright's patrol car, police said.

Neither driver was hurt, Rouse said. No one was charged in the accident, although an investigation was continuing yesterday, Rouse said.

The left two lanes on the outer loop were closed until 1 p.m.

- Laura Barnhardt


Police identify man, 46, who killed himself at office

Anne Arundel County police identified Bruce A. Miller of Mount Airy yesterday as the man who committed suicide after shooting into his former workplace in Hanover on Thursday.

Miller, 46, had worked for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. for 28 years and was fired Thursday by his supervisor, Doreen Hartley, police said. He had been an assistant designer, drawing plans for residential and commercial projects, according to the company.

Miller returned to the one-story office building in the 7300 block of Parkway Drive South later in the afternoon with a shotgun, police said. He drove around to the rear where Hartley's office is located and fired two shots through her window. Then he shot open a locked door and forced his way into her office. He apparently shot himself while sitting in her chair, police said.

Employees who worked in nearby office buildings were shaken by the shooting.

"We ran to our car because we thought someone escaped from [the state prison at] Jessup," said Tammy Shababo, an administrative assistant at Tech Systems, which is located in a building across the street. "It is scary - really scary."

- Annie Linskey


Woman sentenced to 30 years in death of Baltimore woman

An Ellicott City woman convicted of second-degree murder in the death of a Baltimore woman whose body was found stuffed in a freezer was sentenced to 30 years in prison yesterday in Howard County Circuit Court.

Before she was sentenced, Kathy Lynn Gray, 41, of the 3200 block of Corporate Drive, said she was not guilty of the crime but felt partially responsible for the death of Tamaria Hughes because she invited the woman to her home.

Prosecutors contend that Gray lured Hughes, 36, a Baltimore schools crossing guard, to her home for a three-way sexual encounter.

"If I could have given my life to save Tamaria's, I would have," said Gray, who also read psalms and sang a religious song while addressing the courtroom.

Howard County Circuit Judge Raymond J. Kane Jr. called the crime particularly "egregious" before sentencing Gray.

Gray's boyfriend, Anthony T. Williams, 33, of Suitland, was convicted of second-degree murder and first- and second-degree assault in the case. He was also sentenced 30 years in prison.

Gray and Williams were arrested March 6 last year after police stopped a pickup truck in which they were riding that carried a freezer containing Hughes' body.

- Laura Cadiz


Suspicious package causes disruption of Metro service

Service on the Baltimore metro subway was disrupted for about 90 minutes early yesterday after the discovery of a suspicious package at the Lexington Market station.

A Maryland Transportation Authority Police officer found the black bag about 6:10 a.m., said Deputy Transportation Secretary Jim F. Ports Jr.

Service was suspended between the State Center and Johns Hopkins University stations, about a two-mile stretch, while Transportation Authority officers and the city police bomb squad investigated the package.

Service resumed about 7:45 a.m. after the package was determined to be harmless.

- Associated Press


Life sentence for man who killed deli owner

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.