News from around the Baltimore region

June 30, 2005


City homicide toll of 137 is ahead of last year's

City police announced three homicides yesterday, pushing this year's toll past where it stood at the same time last year.

Since March, the city had been tallying fewer homicides than last year - when 278 people were killed, the most since 1999.

As of yesterday, there were 137 homicide victims this year. At the same point last year, 134 homicides had occurred, police said.

The latest slaying was reported at 6:40 p.m. yesterday in the 2500 block of Lauretta Ave. in West Baltimore. Police responding to a shooting report found Michael Guy, 20, of the 3900 block of Duvall Ave., who had been shot multiple times in the upper body. He was pronounced dead about 30 minutes later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. No arrests have been made.

Police also announced yesterday that a man killed in a May 1 hit-and-run crash was a homicide victim and a 74-year-old store owner killed in March was a homicide victim.

On May 1, in the 1500 block of Presstman St., Kurt Fulp was riding his bike east when he was run down by a westbound 1993 Plymouth van, said Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman.

The van was burned and destroyed that night, and Fulp, 20, of the 1400 block of Mountmor Court in Gilmor Homes died the next day at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, Moses said.

The incident was tied to an April 1 incident in which Fulp intended to shoot one man but hit another, Moses said. No arrests have been made.

In the other case, Jessie Lee Jr. was beaten March 8 in the appliance store that bears his name in the 1900 block of W. Pratt St., Moses said. The two assailants took $800.

Lee died March 21 at Shock Trauma. The pair are being sought.

-Ryan Davis and Richard Irwin


Assisted-living employee gets two-year sentence in abuse

A former assisted-living manager was sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to punching an autistic man in the eye, causing him to go blind, the Maryland attorney general's office announced yesterday.

Theresa Jackson, 53, of the 1000 block of Brantley Ave. in Baltimore had been a manager at Myra's Assisted Living facility in the 2600 block of Greenmount Ave. Prosecutors said that in the Jan. 8, 2004, incident, Jackson punched the left eye of a 63-year-old man who was in her care. The facility immediately fired Jackson, and she pleaded guilty Feb. 16 to first-degree abuse of a vulnerable adult.

Baltimore Circuit Judge John M. Glynn sentenced Jackson to 10 years in prison, suspending all but two years, and ordered three years of supervised release. Jackson had failed to appear for her original April 20 sentencing, according to prosecutors, and was arrested June 17 by Maryland State Police and held until yesterday's sentencing.


Historic Towson to hold Empty House Tour tonight

Historic Towson, a preservation group, will hold its first Empty House Tour of the Foote House tonight.

Public tours of the historic East Towson house - an example of Gothic Revival style built without the use of an architect - begin at 7 p.m. The house has been restored by owners Judy and Neil Cohen, said Carol Allen, president of Historic Towson Inc.

The oldest portion of the house dates to 1865. Upper-level rooms were added about 1910 and 1930, Allen said. "The idea of the empty house tour is to give people interested in renovating homes an example they can see," she said.

Admission is free, though small donations are requested. The house is at 305 Lennox Ave.

Information: 410-832-1776.

- Laura Barnhardt


State agrees to sell land to Baltimore County for park

The state Department of Transportation has agreed to sell about a quarter-acre in Perry Hall to Baltimore County for possible use as a community park, the department announced.

The State Highway Administration had purchased the property during expansion of U.S. 1 in the area. The land, at U.S. 1 and Minte Drive, was no longer needed by the state and was included in an inventory of surplus property.

After state legislators urged the Department of Transportation to negotiate with the county to sell the land for use as a park, Secretary Robert L. Flanagan agreed that the land could be sold for $30,000, about half its appraised value, according to the announcement.

The sale must be approved by the County Council and the state Board of Public Works.


Duca assumes command of U.S. Coast Guard Yard

Capt. Stephen Duca of Millersville has assumed command of the U.S. Coast Guard Yard in Baltimore, becoming the 38th leader of the shipbuilding and ship repairing facility that opened 106 years ago.

Duca takes over for Capt. Ronald Rabago, who had commanded the installation since 2003 and departed to become deputy commander of the U.S. Coast Guard Maintenance & Logistics Command Atlantic in Norfolk, Va.

Duca had been industrial manager of the Baltimore yard. He is a 1981 graduate of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and has a master's degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.