Speak Out!

June 29, 2005

THE ISSUE

Last week, state education officials said schools serving Annapolis children would not receive a $558,000 challenge grant. County school officials credit it with helping improve performance at nine elementary schools, six of which have high populations of low-income students.

This is the second time Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. has tried to kill the program in its final funding year, having removed it from his original budget proposal. The General Assembly returned the program in its spending plan, but the governor controls whether the funds are paid out.

Ehrlich representatives said the governor has increased financial support for education overall, particularly in Anne Arundel County. But some say the governor is playing politics with a pet project of House Speaker Michael E. Busch because the two have often grappled over whether to use money from slots for education.

YOUR VIEW

Should state officials reinstate the grant? Tell us what you think at arundel.speakout@baltsun.com by tomorrow. Please keep your response short, and include your name, address and phone number. A selection will be published Sunday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.