A mission in Russia and at home

June 19, 2005|By Christina Hernandez | Christina Hernandez,SUN STAFF

As his part-time shift at the Food Lion in Cockeysville was winding down one recent evening, Robert Chrystal overheard another store employee struggling to communicate with the store manager. When he noticed a Russian accent, Chrystal hurried over to help the two men overcome the language barrier.

Then the employee asked a question that, coming from a Russian who had been in the United States less than three weeks, made Chrystal feel honored.

"He asked if I was from Russia," said the 34-year-old, who doesn't have a Russian bone in his body.

The Parkville resident of German and Irish descent felt "religious transference" called him to be a missionary, but it was his love for the country and its people that brought him to Russia in May 1996.

Chrystal recalled his skepticism when President Ronald Reagan denounced the Soviet Union as an "evil empire."

"I wasn't convinced that the people were what we were told their country was," Chrystal said. "There was a sense of finding out what's on the other side of the curtain."

New home, new son

When he arrived in the Russian city of Kislovodsk, Chrystal spent his time playing music and spreading the Gospel on the streets. A month into his mission, Chrystal and a Russian girl were singing Russian spiritual songs at a train station in Minvody. Russians were getting on and off the trains, and a group of refugees sat to one side of the station. Russians began throwing roses and eventually money at Chrystal and the girl's feet, and they soon raised enough money to buy food for the refugees.

Someone in Chrystal's missionary group noticed a young boy among the refugees and suggested Chrystal buy the child an ice cream cone. Chrystal bought 11-year-old Armen Babayan the treat, and when he heard a knock on his apartment door later that night, found the child standing outside the door. Armen had hopped the train and followed Chrystal home.

"He attached onto me like a leech," Chrystal said of the young refugee. "If you are dark-skinned in Russia, you will have a very hard life."

When Chrystal returned Armen home, he was greeted by the boy's drunken mother and the drug dealer she lived with. Armen's father was dead, and both of his grandparents were disabled.

Chrystal maintained close contact with Armen and took him in within a month of their meeting. Eventually Armen's mother told Chrystal she could no longer compete with the father-son bond the two shared, and Armen's grandparents pleaded with Chrystal to adopt him as a foster child.

Three months after they met, Chrystal became Armen's foster father. Every year on June 6, the anniversary of their meeting, Chrystal and Armen went back to the train station and treated themselves to ice cream.

Chrystal had suddenly found himself with a family in Russia and one step closer to his aspiration of blending into the culture.

"I made it my goal to disappear," he said, "all with the goal of truly connecting to the people and not standing out as a foreigner."

One advantage of being mistaken as a Russian by landladies he rented apartments from was the cheaper rate they gave to nationals. Chrystal paid about $70 per month for the small apartment he shared with his son, instead of the $350 he would have been charged had he been recognized as an American.

Chrystal had to scrimp in Russia, because the religious organizations he worked with did not provide monetary assistance to missionaries. Before leaving for Russia, Chrystal had visited Baltimore-area evangelical churches to discuss their leadership vision and to solicit funds for his trip. Between church money and donations from individuals he knew, Chrystal ended up living on about $6,000 a year in Russia.

Blending in

Although he fooled many Russian citizens, it was impossible for the American to blend in completely. Russia has a huge police presence, and Chrystal said during a typical drive across town he was stopped by the authorities at least three times.

"The police are the enemy of the people there," said Chrystal, who also had his telephone tapped by Russian authorities.

In 1998, Chrystal had an encounter with the Russian police that would solidify his distrust of the government. When a Swedish missionary couple was abducted by Chechen rebels while walking with Chrystal and others in the town of Mahachkala, Chrystal was taken into custody by Russian officers.

At the start of the 35 exhausting days, the officers denied Chrystal food, so the Russians he had worked with surrounded the building until they knew Chrystal was being fed.

"Talk about feeling loved! After that experience, I was one of them," said Chrystal, who earned the nickname "Little Robik" from his Russian friends.

Chrystal said his experience in captivity was traumatizing but finally made him understand what he said many Russians say about their native land.

"You can't understand Russia with your mind," he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.