Two men burned in explosion, fire at city home

Authorities believe leaking gas from broken line ignited

June 08, 2005|By Winyan Soo Hoo | Winyan Soo Hoo,Special to baltimoresun.com

Two people were burned this morning in an explosion and fire that destroyed a home near Baltimore's Park Heights neighborhood, according to city fire officials.

Authorities said a 61-year-old man suffered injuries to the hand and face and a 67-year-old man suffered hand and arm injuries from the fire reported around 9:30 a.m. at 3722 Boarman Ave.

Fire officials said it appears leaking gas from a broken line was ignited, causing the explosion. The injured men told investigators they were doing repairs in the home at the time of the explosion, fire spokesman Dwaine Booker said.

The two-story home was flattened and debris caught fire. A Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. crew was called to fix the broken line. Authorities said there appeared to be no threat to other homes in the area.

The two men were taken to the Bayview Hospital burn unit. Fire officials have not released their names.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.