This Month In County History

1830: new home for Mount Ararat Masons

June 05, 2005

On June 5, 1830, members of the Mount Ararat Masons Lodge met for the first time in their new hall behind the County Courthouse between Wall and Bond streets in Bel Air. The lodge had not had a regular meeting place since 1827.

Across Maryland, the fraternity was in retreat from a strong and unrelenting anti-Masonic movement. At last, a new Masonic Hall was to be dedicated, and the Grand Lodge of Maryland members were determined to make the most of the occasion. On June 24, 1833, the new hall was dedicated with an elaborate ceremony.

Source: Mount Ararat Lodge No. 44 Web site, www.mtararat44.org

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.