Mt. Hebron fights back against St. Mary's, 10-6

Vikings win 9th straight spring tournament title

Girls lacrosse

April 24, 2005|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

Trailing at the half for the first time all season yesterday against No. 6 St. Mary's, the top-ranked Mount Hebron girls lacrosse team welcomed the pressure it rarely finds in the second half.

The Vikings put a blanket on the St. Mary's attack and found more than enough offense of their own to earn a 10-6 win that made them winners a ninth straight time at their Mount Hebron Spring Lacrosse Tournament.

Junior goalie Karen Nicolaus made three of her five saves early in the second half with Mount Hebron trailing 6-5, then senior Meg Taylor scored two straight goals to help the Vikings (9-0) run their winning streak to 69 games.

The Vikings advanced to the championship game yesterday with another difficult test, coming away with a 12-6 win over St. Stephen's/St. Agnes, an Alexandria, Va., school ranked No. 2 in The Washington Post poll.

"We had the toughest draw and set ourselves up for that, wanting to put our ranking and our streak on the line, and we stepped up. In the second half [against St. Mary's], we did a better job of finding their cutters and our offense did a better job," said Mount Hebron coach Brooke Kuhl-McClelland.

Junior Megan Bosica, who finished with three goals and two assists in the opening-round win, added four goals to lead the Vikings in the championship game against St. Mary's.

She had plenty of timely help.

After the Saints couldn't get anything past Nicolaus early in the second half, Taylor scored her two goals -- the second coming with 12:23 left -- to give the Vikings a lead they never relinquished.

Alex McClammer, Bosica and Jacquelinie Giles, who scored six goals in the two games, closed out the scoring for the Vikings, while the Saints were held scoreless for the entire half.

While the Vikings rarely see a tight game in the second half, let alone being down, Taylor said they were more than prepared to get the job done.

"In the first half, it was like, `What are we doing?' I think we were a little tired and may have still been excited about our first win. But we practice all the time on situational things ... so we were ready. Games like this are fun -- that's what we love," she said.

While the Vikings were taking a photo with their ninth straight championship plaque, the Saints also had plenty of smiles knowing they gave the host team its toughest challenge.

Roland Park, another Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference team, gave the Vikings their previous closest challenge in a 14-9 setback April 16.

"I'm thrilled with our effort," said St. Mary's coach Sue Chittim, whose Saints were playing their fourth game in three days. "We don't make any excuses -- Mount Hebron is a great team. We just weren't penetrating or running off the ball in the second half. The girls thought they were moving, but they weren't. I just think they were awfully tired."

The Saints, who opened with a 14-9 win over Green Valley (Pa.), got nine assists from junior Allison Perkins in the two games to lead a balanced attack that left an impression on Kuhl-McClelland.

"To me, this is the most talented team we've seen this year," she said. `They have great speed and were cutting behind our defense, which is very tough. They were slippery."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.