Cornblath's goal sends Park over John Carroll in 2 overtimes, 6-5

Bruins lose 2-goal lead to Patriots late in game

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

April 13, 2005|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

There was no question how badly Park wanted yesterday's game with visiting John Carroll.

The Bruins simply kept coming at their opponent. They played with an aggressiveness that let them stay in control for long stretches. That intensity also helped Park overcome losing a two-goal lead in the final minute of regulation and pull out a 6-5 victory in double overtime over No. 13 John Carroll in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association B Conference game.

Jake Cornblath scored the game-winning goal with 1:52 left in the second overtime. Park didn't let up throughout the sudden-death periods, got several scoring chances and finally broke through on Cornblath's 10-yard bounce shot, giving the Bruins some revenge for losing to the Patriots in last year's conference championship game.

FOR THE RECORD - A photo caption in yesterday's sports section misidentified the John Carroll lacrosse player in the left portion of the photo. The player's name is Dane Frank.

This also was two-time defending champion John Carroll's first conference loss since 2003.

"It very definitely is a big win for us," said Park coach Lucky Mallonee. "I was proud of them for the way they came back and the way they hung in there."

Park (7-0, 7-0) jumped to a 3-0 first-period lead and then used a tough defense to keep John Carroll (5-2, 5-1) at a distance. Goalie Brad Mendelson (15 saves) made a number of good stops and got lots of defensive help from Mike Dembert, David Berman and Gus Bloom.

"It took us a while to get back into the game after [trailing 3-0]," said John Carroll coach Keith Hinder. "We had a lot of chances, but we just couldn't get it to fall."

Cornblath (two goals), Ben Earley (one goal, one assist) and J.J. Baylin (two goals, one assist) scored Park's first-period goals. Mike Nawrocki then got both of his goals to slice the lead to 3-2 before injuring his shoulder and going out later in the second period. The Bruins had a 4-2 halftime lead and looked in command later when Baylin got his second goal.

But Matt Rayburn of John Carroll forced overtime by scoring with 55.9 and 41.8 seconds left in regulation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.