Tyson to face McBride in June at MCI, adviser says

Boxing

April 12, 2005|By Lem Satterfield

Mike Tyson is expected to attend a noon news conference today at the Lincoln Theatre in Washington, where the former world champion will announce his intentions to fight Ireland's Kevin McBride on June 11 at MCI Center, his adviser, Shelly Finkel, said last night.

The Sun reported last month that McBride (32-4-1, 27 knockouts) and Germany's Andreas Sidon (26-5, 20 KOs) were among Tyson's prospective rivals for a bout on Showtime pay per view. Tyson (50-5, 44 knockouts) has, in fact, chosen to meet McBride, who has won his past seven fights by knockout.

Both Tyson, who will turn 39 on June 30, and McBride, 31, have signed contracts to fight. Finkel said Tyson "went before the [Washington, D.C. Athletic Commision yesterday] and he's signed the contract to fight."

Tyson was approved and licensed last night by the commission, said a source close to the event.

Tyson will have been out of the ring for nearly a year by the time he meets McBride. Tyson last fought during a fourth-round knockout loss to unheralded Danny Williams in July.

Marty Wynn of Raging Promotions is expected to promote the fight.

- Lem Satterfield

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.