Blast's run for playoffs damaged by 5-3 loss

Team has four games left to earn postseason berth

Pro Soccer

April 10, 2005|By Robert Whitman | Robert Whitman,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Every Blast player knows how fast Kansas City Comets forward Jamar Beasley can run.

And the split-second that the Blast took its eye off Beasley last night hurt its chances of making the Major Indoor Soccer League playoffs.

Beasley had the assist on the key goal in Kansas City's 5-3 victory over the Blast.

The loss seriously imperiled the playoff chances of the Blast, the two-time defending MISL champions.

With four games remaining, the Blast (15-20) needs to make up 3 1/2 games on either the third-place Cleveland Force (18-16) or fourth-place St. Louis Steamers (19-17).

"It hurts us. It was a game where you can't fault the guys," Blast midfielder Lee Tschantret said. "We had a ton of opportunities. I think they cleared five balls off the line with defenders."

The Blast got off to a fast start. P.J. Wakefield scored a goal from Tschantret's pass just 33 seconds after the opening kickoff.

The Comets (15-20) used Beasley's speed and an excellent substitution on the fly to take a 4-3 lead into the fourth quarter.

James Koehler scored the goal for the Comets at 11:08. Kansas City forward Dino Delevski took a free kick from the corner near the Comets' goal, nearly 200 feet from the Blast goal. Delevski spotted Beasley with a long pass near the Blast yellow line. Beasley dribbled diagonally through the Blast third of the field and threaded a pass between Blast goalie Sagu and defender Wendell Regis. Koehler had an easy tap-in for the goal.

Beasley had just come off the bench through one door while the player he replaced came off through the other door.

"He came off the bench. It was a change and it kind of surprised one of our guys," Tschantret said. "It ended up being a great ball."

The score remained 4-3 late into the fourth quarter. Danny Kelly entered as a sixth attacker for the Blast with 2:26 remaining.

But the Comets put the game away when Casey Barton lofted a shot into the Blast goal from near the Kansas City yellow line 14 seconds after Kelly came on as a sixth attacker.

"It felt like we [were] on them actually most of the game," Tschantret said. "They blocked a lot of shots, [and] I think that was the difference."

After Wakefield's goal in the first quarter, Kansas City tied the game at 12:14 on Miodrag Djerisilo's goal from Delevski's restart near the top of the Blast penalty area.

Kelly scored 11 seconds later and put the Blast back into the lead, 2-1.

Djerisilo shot a free kick from the top of the Blast penalty area into the upper corner of the net in the first quarter that tied the score, 2-2.

The Blast took a 3-2 lead into halftime with Joel Bailey's goal at 4:03 of the second quarter. Delevski tied the game, 3-3, with a goal at 4:00 of the third quarter.

"They [the Comets] pretty much sat back the whole game and tried to counter-attack with Beasley," Tschantret said. "He's got great pace. And they really rely on set pieces as well. It hurts us. We played well tonight and didn't get a win."

Blast 2 1 0 0 - 3

Kansas City 2 0 2 1 - 5

First quarter: Blast - Wakefield (Tschantret) :33; KC - Djerisilo (Delevski) 12:14; Blast - Kelly (Celenza) 12:25; KC - Djerisilo (unassisted) 14:19. Penalties: None. Second quarter: Blast - Bailey (Tschantret) 4:03. Penalties: None. Third quarter: KC - Delevski (Perkins) 4:00; KC - Koehler (Beasley) 11:08. Penalties: Blast - Wakefield (pushing) :29; KC - Fabinho (boarding) 12:28. Fourth quarter: KC - Barton (unassisted) 12:48. Penalties: None. Goalkeepers: Blast, Sagu 11 saves; KC - Sanaldo 14 saves.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.