C.M. Wright upends N. Harford in 4 OTs, 8-7

Greenberg's goal keeps Mustangs' county streak going at 55 victories

Girls lacrosse

High Schools

April 09, 2005|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

C. Milton Wright needed a little extra time to keep its Harford County girls lacrosse winning streak alive.

Lauren Greenberg made a quick move and scored from in front 48 seconds into the fourth overtime to give No. 14 C.M. Wright its 55th consecutive county victory, an 8-7 triumph over No. 4 North Harford last night.

Greenberg, coach Carl Greenberg's daughter, scored her only goal of the game by spinning away from a North Harford defender and firing a low shot past goalie Danielle Tomlinson from just outside the crease.

The Mustangs did a good job of controlling the ball and the game throughout the four overtimes.

"We try to slow it down in overtime," Lauren Greenberg said. "If we slow it, we spread it out, and we have a chance. I knew I had it on [my shot]."

Tomlinson made life tougher for C.M. Wright (3-2, 2-0). The sophomore goalie made seven saves after coming into the game early in the second half, including a big stop on Kara Dorr's free-position shot as time expired in the second overtime.

North Harford (3-3, 0-1) continued to have problems in close games. The Hawks have three one-goal losses - including two in overtime - and wasted leads of 2-0 and 7-6.

"We just didn't finish," Hawks coach Greg Murrell said. "We created shots, but we didn't get the big goal when we needed one."

The Hawks took charge early, scoring the first two goals and keeping possession for most of the first 15 minutes. But Erin Rawlick (two goals) sparked a four-goal run that gave C.M. Wright a 4-2 halftime lead.

Gina Maranto (three goals) scored two free-position shots that helped the Mustangs to a 6-4 lead with 16:55 left. North Harford then rallied for three straight goals over 4:14, the final ones coming from Cory Donohoe (two goals, one assist) and Megan Linkous (one goal, one assist), giving the Hawks a 7-6 lead with 10:11 remaining.

The Mustangs tied it when Chelsie McNeil took a quick pass from Dorr and tied it with 7:22 left. North Harford appeared to take the lead 44 seconds later on a Katy Lawrence goal, but officials ruled the pocket on her stick was too deep and nullified it.

C.M. Wright also got a strong effort from goalie Mary Waller (10 saves), who made a number of tough stops to keep the Hawks from taking command.

The Mustangs got a lot of help from a lot of people to keep their long county streak alive.

"We stepped up when we needed to," Carl Greenberg said. "We haven't really had a test in two weeks, but we [played] well."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.