Longtime lacrosse official collapses at Navy game, dies

Scott Boyle, 55, suffers apparent heart attack

College Lacrosse

April 03, 2005|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,SUN STAFF

The 15th men's lacrosse meeting between Navy and Georgetown was suspended on a tragic note yesterday, when longtime official Scott Boyle collapsed on the field at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium and died of an apparent heart attack.

Boyle, 55, of Lutherville, who officiated at the collegiate level for more than 25 years and was part of yesterday's three-man crew, was pronounced dead shortly after being taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center at about 2 p.m., according to hospital spokeswoman Martha Harland.

Boyle fell about 10 yards in front of the Georgetown goal just after the first quarter had ended with the ninth-ranked Hoyas leading No. 5 Navy 2-0, as both teams huddled on the sidelines.

Navy trainer Joe English and Georgetown trainer Stacy Slayback rushed onto the field to tend to Boyle, whom English said was having difficulty breathing. Within several minutes, Cmdr. Kevin Ronan, a Navy physician who was unavailable to comment, performed CPR on Boyle and treated him with a defibrillator.

Paramedics from the Annapolis Fire Department arrived and transported Boyle to the medical center.

"When the paramedics arrived, [Boyle] was in cardiac arrest," said Capt. Joseph Martin of the Annapolis Fire Marshall's Office.

Navy coach Richie Meade, Georgetown coach Dave Urick and Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk conferred with game officials Butch West and Andy Motsko, and Gladchuk decided to suspend the game. It will be continued today at Rip Miller Field on the academy campus at 1 p.m. Admission is free.

"The other officials were uncomfortable under the conditions and felt the game should be suspended, so we did that," Gladchuk said.

Said Urick: "They could have continued with a two-man crew, but I think in deference to how the two officials were feeling, the decision was made to come back and finish it up [today]. We can finish a lacrosse game anytime."

Meade said, "We were coming out of our timeout, and we looked over and saw [Boyle] on the ground. Scotty has been one of the great officials in the sport of lacrosse for many, many years. Obviously, we're all concerned for him and his family."

The game originally was scheduled to be played at Georgetown. On Friday, in anticipation in yesterday's heavy rain, the game was moved to Navy's home field.

Boyle was a vice president at CPSI, a Catonsville-based information technology consulting firm. He was the uncle of former Princeton All-America attackman Ryan Boyle. He began officiating at the youth level 36 years ago, and by the late 1970s, he had begun to work college games. By the time of his death, Boyle had officiated at every level of lacrosse.

"Scott Boyle did every major game in this game," said Wesley Bachur, the applicant director for the Southern Lacrosse Officials Association. "He did championship games at every level. There's nobody else who can say that. He loved being in the middle of things. He relished the theater of it, and he was a good guy."

Charlie Libby, who assigns collegiate officials from southern Pennsylvania to North Carolina for the U.S. Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association, said: "Scott is in the top five in my area and probably the top five in the country, always doing the top games."

"Everybody liked Scott. He mentored the young [officials] as he got older. He loved the game. He was far from a prima donna. He was just a terrific, hard-working official. It's a huge loss to the officiating community, and it's a terrible loss to me personally."

Boyle is survived by his wife, Becky; a son, Scott Jr; and a daughter, Kelly.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.