News from around the Baltimore region

April 02, 2005


Police fatally shoot man after chase on east side

Police fatally shot a motorist yesterday afternoon on the east side after the driver attempted to escape by striking a squad car, authorities said.

The suspect was not immediately identified, said police spokesman Officer Troy Harris. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, Harris said.

The incident started around 3 p.m. when a early model GMC Yukon passed unmarked police vehicles on Edison Highway, Harris said. Police said they believed the Yukon was traveling at a high speed. Pursuing police cars caught up to the Yukon, boxing the vehicle in in the 2400 block of Greenmount Ave., Harris said.

"The driver of the car then attempted to escape by striking a police cruiser and two civilian vehicles," Harris said.

At least one officer fired on the Yukon, Harris said. Harris was unable to say how many officers fired shots. The identities of the involved officers were also unavailable, Harris said.

-- Matthew Dolan


Court of Appeals postpones execution in motel killings

Maryland's highest court agreed yesterday to postpone the execution of a man scheduled to be put to death this month, giving the convicted killer a chance to argue that his sentence should be overturned based on a University of Maryland death penalty study.

The Court of Appeals granted the request from Vernon L. Evans Jr., 55, to stay his execution and ordered that his lawyers be prepared to argue their case June 7 alongside attorneys for death row inmate Wesley E. Baker as to why the death sentences should be overturned.

Evans and drug kingpin Anthony Grandison were convicted and sentenced to death for the April 1983 killing of David Scott Piechowicz and Susan Kennedy at the Warren House Motor Hotel in Pikesville.

Baker was convicted in 1992 of fatally shooting a teacher's aide in front of her grandchildren in the parking lot of a Catonsville shopping center.

Both Baker and Evans -- as well as two other death row inmates -- have asked the courts to overturn their sentences based on a January 2003 study in which professor Raymond Paternoster documented racial and geographic disparities in the application of the death penalty in Maryland.

Evans and Baker are black. The victims in their cases, all of whom were white, were killed in Baltimore County.

-- Jennifer McMenamin


Defense lawyers stage protest of witness intimidation bill

Holding a copy of the Constitution in his right hand and a copy of the witness intimidation bill in his left, Baltimore attorney Warren A. Brown gathered with a group of defense lawyers yesterday to condemn the legislation before the House Judiciary Committee.

Joining Brown and about 20 others on the steps of the Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Courthouse was prominent defense attorney William H. Murphy Jr. Both men commented on what they saw as the dangers of the witness intimidation bill supported by Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. and Baltimore State's Attorney Patricia C. Jessamy. The provision calling for the "hearsay exception" -- in which a witness could give a statement but not have to appear in court -- received the brunt of the criticism.

"We have gathered to announce our vehement disapproval of the bill now pending in Annapolis that would deprive citizens of this city, this state and this country the right to confront their accusers," Brown said.

Ehrlich and Jessamy have said the legislation -- passed by the Senate -- is crucial to combating witness intimidation. They have criticized the committee for not bringing the bill to a vote.


Man in shootout killed by bullet fired from his gun, police say

The shot that killed a Baltimore man in a Carroll County field March 11 came from the revolver he was firing at two sheriff's deputies who had tried to stop him for speeding, according to a preliminary report by the Maryland State Police.

Craig Eugene Hill Sr., 31, of the 2600 block of Norland Road fired seven times from a 357-magnum Smith & Wesson revolver that had been reported stolen in the city, but hit only himself, Carroll Sheriff Kenneth L. Tregoning said at a news conference yesterday with Carroll County Deputy State's Attorney Clarence W. Beall.

Investigators did not determine whether he fired accidentally or intentionally.

Deputies Jesse G. Clagett and William G. Burdt didn't know when they tried to stop Hill that about 10 minutes earlier he had burst into the Westminster home of an ex-girlfriend -- saying he had killed one woman, planned to kill her and to be dead himself by the end of the day, police said. About three hours later, Baltimore County police found the body of Sharon Harvey, 30, at her home in the 2000 block of Hillcrest Road, killed by a bullet from the gun Hill used, police said.

The two deputies, suspended with pay for a week, acted properly, Beall said.

-- Sheridan Lyons


City road closures planned for Greek parade tomorrow

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.