Man who killed his mother sentenced

Blevins given 20-year term in 2003 stabbing at her Edgewater home

April 01, 2005|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

A heroin addict who stabbed his mother to death after she threw him and his wife out of her Edgewater home was sentenced yesterday to 20 years in prison, as his family wept for him and the parent who long tried to help him.

"You know, that's not something everyone gets - someone to love you and love you unconditionally," said Anne Arundel County Circuit Judge Nancy Davis-Loomis, telling Jason Blevins that depriving himself and his family of his mother was "pretty unforgivable."

Blevins, 26, pleaded guilty last year to second-degree murder for stabbing Mary Ella Ginger 126 times in a Subway sandwich shop near Annapolis where she worked alone Dec. 12, 2003. Her body was found in the restaurant's freezer hours later.

Blevins stood attentively as the judge pronounced the maximum 30-year sentence, with 10 years suspended, plus five years of supervised probation and drug treatment, largely what Assistant Public Defender William Davis was seeking.

Over Assistant State's Attorney Pamela K. Alban's objection and request for 30 years in prison, Davis-Loomis recommended that Blevins be evaluated for possible incarceration at Patuxent Institution, the state's treatment-oriented maximum security facility.

Blevins wiped away tears as his aunt described Ginger as a woman who worked two jobs to give her two children a "wonderful life," insisted on drug rehabilitation for them and assumed responsibility for their drug-related woes and more - until she couldn't take it any more.

"Mary died a very sad woman with a broken spirit," Lisa Blevins said.

"I do not like who or what he has allowed himself to become," Lisa Blevins said of her nephew.

Ginger, who was 51, had taken back her house keys after she found that Blevins had been forging checks from her account and using her credit card. Blevins and his wife, Jennifer, bought heroin and rented a room at a nearby hotel. He left alone for the Subway where his mother worked.

The couple was tracked a few weeks later to Iowa.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.