This Month In County History

Havre de Grace's charter dates to 1840

March 20, 2005

Evening Sun, March 17, 1965, Harford County commissioners approved a new design for the county's coat-of-arms.

On March 19, 1840, the General Assembly approved a full charter for Havre de Grace. The charter lasted 30 years. Commission meetings were held on the first Saturday of each month at the schoolhouse. Commissioners received $12 a year and could be fined 25 cents for missing a meeting without good cause.

SOURCE: Havre de Grace, an Informal History. Edited by Peter A. Jay

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.