Three fillies have won the Santa Anita Derby, just as three fillies have won the Kentucky Derby. Winning Colors, a huge filly who could have been mistaken for a colt, won both in 1988.
Winning Colors was a roan, and Sweet Catomine is a deep-chocolate bay, but they have much in common. Sweet Catomine is also an enormous specimen, big enough to bully her female counterparts, and now, after winning yesterday's Santa Anita Oaks - as Winning Colors did - she'll try to take the Santa Anita route to the Kentucky Derby.
The Santa Anita Derby is on April 9, four weeks before the big race at Churchill Downs on May 7.
Marty Wygod, who bred Sweet Catomine with his wife, Pam, said their filly would pretty much have to win the Santa Anita Derby to move on to Louisville. The same-sex option for fillies is the Kentucky Oaks the day before the Derby.
"If she runs the right race in the Santa Anita Derby, we would consider the Kentucky Derby," Wygod said. "But too high a percentage of horses run in the Kentucky Derby and then are no good after that, so we're mindful of that.
"There might be a possible scenario - getting in trouble, not getting a chance to run her race - where she didn't win at Santa Anita and still ran in the Kentucky Derby, but I'd say that's unlikely."
The other fillies to win the Kentucky Derby were Genuine Risk in 1980 and Regret in 1915. Only three fillies have run in the race since Winning Colors' victory. Serena's Song finished 16th in 1995 and Excellent Meeting and Three Ring were fifth and 19th, respectively, in 1999.
The indication that Sweet Catomine would run in the Santa Anita Derby beefed up that race, which lost Declan's Moon, who was No. 1 in the Kentucky Derby poll last week. Declan's Moon, who has a bone chip in his knee, will have surgery this week.
Sun King, who will run in the Tampa Bay Derby on Saturday, moved to the top spot in the poll, followed by Afleet Alex and High Fly.
The Los Angeles Times is a Tribune Publishing newspaper.
Triple Crown Ratings
Horse Jockey Trainer St W P S Last race Next race Date
1. Sun King Edgar Prado Nick Zito 5 2 0 2 allowance (1st) Tampa Bay 3/19
2. Afleet Alex John Velazquez Tim Ritchey 7 5 2 0 Mountain Valley (1st) Rebel Stakes 3/19
3. High Fly Jerry Bailey Nick Zito 4 3 0 1 Fountain of Youth (1st) Florida Derby 4/2
4. High Limit Ramon Dominguez Bobby Frankel 3 3 0 0 Louisiana Derby (1st) undecided
5. Sweet Catomine Corey Nakatani Julio Canani 6 5 1 0 Santa Anita Oaks (1st) San Anita Derby 4/9
6. Rockport Harbor Stewart Elliott John Servis 4 4 0 0 Remsen Stakes (1st) Rebel Stakes 3/19
7. Wilko Corey Nakatani Craig Dollase 12 3 2 5 Hollywood Futurity (3rd) San Felipe 3/19
8. Don't Get Mad Tyler Baze Ron Ellis 3 2 1 0 San Vincente(2nd) San Felipe 3/19
9. Bandini John Velazquez Todd Pletcher 3 2 0 0 Fountain of Youth (2nd) Florida Derby 4/2
10. Roman Ruler Jerry Bailey Bob Baffert 5 3 1 0 BC Juvenile (5th) Gotham Stakes 3/19
Triple Crown panel: Bill Christine, Los Angeles Times; Tom Keyser, The Sun; Dave Joseph, South Florida Sun-Sentinel; Neil Milbert, Chicago Tribune; Paul Moran, Newsday.