Regional Digest


February 26, 2005|By From staff reports


State lifts ban on new buildings in Centreville

CENTREVILLE - State officials lifted a building ban in Centreville yesterday, saying they were satisfied the town had increased the capacity of its wastewater treatment plant and improved management there.

The Maryland Department of the Environment imposed a moratorium on permits in May after an investigation found the town's 45-year-old plant had been spewing pollution into a Chesapeake Bay tributary. Investigators also said the town had continued to issue permits even though the plant was over capacity.

Centreville, the county seat, has been growing rapidly but had not developed a plan to manage that growth until the problems at the treatment plant became public, state officials said.

Kendl Philbrick, Maryland's secretary of the environment, said the state recently approved a capacity management plan that ensures the town will not issue more building permits than its new 500,000 gallon-a-day plant can handle.

In Baltimore County

Driver, 62, dies after truck runs off Harford Road

GLEN ARM - A man was killed yesterday morning at Harford and Factory roads just north of Gunpowder Falls after his Dodge truck went off the road and struck an embankment, police said.

Lanny Kelly, 62, was traveling south on Harford Road and approaching Factory Road when the accident occurred at 8:22 a.m., police said. He was pronounced dead at 8:58 a.m.

Kelly lived in the 12300 block of Long Green Pike in Glen Arm, police said.

In Baltimore City

Broken water main closes section of light rail

A broken water main at Howard and Lexington streets will force the Maryland Transit Administration to shut down light rail service this morning between the Camden Yards and North Avenue stations, transportation officials said last night.

Shuttle buses will transport passengers between the eight affected stations. Light rail will be in operation from Camden Yards south to the Baltimore-Washington International Airport and Cromwell stations.

MTA officials said the shuttle buses will remain in operation until city officials complete repairs to the water main.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.