2 Arundel fires cause $235,000 in damage

No one injured in blazes in Annapolis, Gambrills

February 22, 2005|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Two garage fires, one in Gambrills and another in Annapolis, caused $235,000 in damage over the weekend, Anne Arundel County fire officials said yesterday.

The first blaze occurred Friday evening at a home in the 2500 block of Davidsonville Road in Gambrills, according to Battalion Chief Lee Cornwell, a fire department spokesman.

About 6:30 p.m., a malfunctioning incubator caught fire inside the garage, a space used by the homeowner for raising quail, Cornwell said.

The fire caused $75,000 in structural damage, and nearly 1,000 birds - about $10,000 worth - were killed by the flames and smoke, he said.

Cornwell said the second garage fire began about 4:30 p.m. Saturday at a home on Acorn Drive in Annapolis.

The homeowner was transferring kerosene from one container to another when he accidentally spilled some of the liquid near a space heater, causing a flash fire, Cornwell said.

Cornwell said responding firefighters called a second alarm that brought help from the Annapolis and Naval Academy fire departments.

Fire officials estimate damage in that case to be about $150,000, he said. No one was injured in either incident.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.