Expired gift card still may have value

Reality Check

Your Money

February 20, 2005|By Lorene Yue

Did you come across a gift card or certificate that's expired? Don't toss the thing away. You might be able to reinstate some of its value or get the unused amount in cash.

Start by checking with the retailer. Some might honor the card, even if expired, although be aware that service fees may have eaten away part of the value. Other stores might let you reclaim the unused amount for a fee. Otherwise, check with the treasurer's office in the state where the card was bought to see if you can file a claim with its unclaimed property fund.

The trick is figuring out how and if the funds have been reported. And you will have to remember the name of the gift-card purchaser.

Lorene Yue, Your Money

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.