Top-ranked Mount St. Joe gets by Calvert Hall, 39-36

Gaels will face McDonogh in MIAA A title game

Boys basketball

High Schools

February 19, 2005|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Top-ranked Mount St. Joseph survived a scare from No. 12 Calvert Hall to nip the Cardinals, 39-36, in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference semifinals at Villa Julie College last night.

Calvert Hall advances to tomorrow's 3 p.m. final against No. 5 McDonogh, a 38-37 winner over No. 6 Towson Catholic in overtime in the other semifinal.

Senior guard Greg Woody (13 points) made a pair of throws with 18 seconds remaining for the Gaels' final margin and the third victory by Mount St. Joseph (27-2) in 10 days over the Cardinals (22-11).

FOR THE RECORD - In Saturday's editions, a boys high school basketball story stated incorrectly which team advanced to the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association final from the Calvert Hall-Mount St. Joseph game. The team that advanced was Mount St. Joseph.
The Sun regrets the error.

Two free throws by Louis Birdsong, who tied Calvert Hall's Ricky Harris for game-high scoring honors with 16 points, with 3:20 left gave the Cardinals a 37-29 lead, but they didn't score again until Woody's free throws.

"It's pretty rough playing somebody three times in such short time, especially when you beat them the first two times," Woody said. "They came out more hungry and more aggressive. They wanted it more than us, but we stuck it out and found a way to win."

Calvert Hall got within 37-36 with 1:20 left on baskets by Russell Frederick and Harris and a three-pointer by Nick Wojnowski sandwiched in-between. But after the Gaels turned the ball over with 1:02 left, the Cardinals missed a shot that could have given them the lead. Dino Gregory got the rebound and dished off to Woody, who was fouled.

The Cardinals missed three shots as time ran out and the Gaels held on.

McDonogh 38, Towson Catholic 37: Brandon Herbert (10 points) scored the only point in overtime as the Eagles (23-5) slipped by the Owls (22-8).

Both teams played cautiously in overtime, as the Owls missed three shots and the Eagles missed two. A clutch rebound by McDonogh guard Brandon Giles came with 3.6 seconds left off a missed shot that ended the Owls' last hope.

DaJuan Summers, who had 11 of his game-high 17 points in the second half while battling the flu, converted one of two free-throw attempts with six seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 37.

Malcolm Delaney, who was the only Owls player in double figures with 10 points, fired up an off-balance shot that hit the rim as the buzzer sounded.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.