Woodlawn rallies to capture county title

Down 16 with 7:00 left, Warriors mount big rally to beat Lansdowne, 54-53

Girls basketball

High Schools

February 19, 2005|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

For 25 minutes of last night's Baltimore County girls basketball championship, Lansdowne did just about everything right, but in the final seven-minute stretch, No. 8 Woodlawn took advantage of its superior speed and their host's foul trouble to pull out a come-from-behind 54-53 victory.

Sade Buie's steal with 27 seconds left led to Brittney Taylor's game-winning shot as the Warriors won an improbable third straight title after trailing by 16 points with seven minutes left.

"We've been working really hard for this in practice, because we expect every team to come out and play their hardest against us, and that's what Lansdowne did," said Taylor, a two-time All-Metro guard, who had 14 points and 10 steals. "It came down to the team that was willing to work the hardest, and that's what we did in the end."

The Warriors (18-4) never had a lead until the final three minutes when Milan Heard converted a layup off a steal for a 50-49 edge. That basket capped a 17-0 run for the Warriors, who used their press to force 11 straight steals. The Vikings went more than six minutes without a shot.

Jasmine Ragler hit three three-pointers in a row during the run that erased the Vikings' second largest lead of the game. With forward Amy Happel and guard Kylie Hall hanging in with four fouls, the Vikings could not be as aggressive as they would have liked on defense.

The Vikings (17-6) took their final lead with 53 seconds to go on Cececila Davis's follow shot for a 53-52 lead.

Through the first three quarters, the Vikings easily broke the Warriors' press, using the strong ball handling and passing of Hall and Meredith Marino, who often found Davis or Happel open inside. Davis and Happel combined for 35 points and 19 rebounds, while Hall added 13 points.

"We knew we could play with them in a half-court situation," said Lansdowne coach John Komosa, who was most concerned about the Warriors' press. "We were executing well, we were getting the weakside shots we were looking for on the press break, but we got into foul trouble and our defense slacked off a little bit. They pushed up a little run, and we just ran out of steam."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.