UM dumps Devils again

Terps rise in overtime to become 1st in ACC to sweep Duke since '95-96

No. 7 Devils lose 5 men to fouls

Ibekwe returns, gives a lift with Gilchrist as Terps repeat Jan. 26 win

Maryland 99, Duke 92

February 13, 2005|By Jeff Zrebiec | Jeff Zrebiec,SUN STAFF

COLLEGE PARK - In 16 seasons at Maryland, Gary Williams has 330 wins, two trips to the Final Four and a national championship. But even some of his best Maryland teams didn't accomplish what his current Terrapins did last night.

And the Terps did it in dramatic fashion.

Maryland marched back from a nine-point deficit and beat the seventh-ranked Blue Devils in overtime, 99-92, before a sold-out and deafening Comcast Center.

The fans stormed the court and John Gilchrist (19 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists) after the game as the Terps completed a season sweep of the Blue Devils, becoming the first Atlantic Coast Conference team to secure that feat in the regular season since the 1995-96 campaign.

The victory, the Terps' third straight over Duke, also marked just Maryland's third season sweep of the Blue Devils since Mike Krzyzewski took over in Durham in 1981 and the first since 1994-95.

It may also go a long way in clinching the Terps' 12th consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament. Maryland (15-7, 6-5 in the ACC), which heads to North Carolina State on Wednesday to try to avenge a home loss last month, is tied for fourth place in the ACC with Miami, winners yesterday at Clemson. Georgia Tech could make it a three-way tie by beating the Wolfpack tonight.

"I thought I was very fortunate to be on the sideline to watch two teams play that hard," said Terps coach Gary Williams. "That's college basketball. It's supposed to be played like that."

Coming off an impressive one-point win over rival North Carolina on Wednesday night, Duke fell to 18-3, 8-3 in the league, dropping out of a first-place tie with Wake Forest and the Tar Heels.

The Blue Devils staggered to the finish without five players, all of whom fouled out late in regulation or in overtime.

Maryland had already fouled out Duke's two best big men, Shavlik Randolph and Shelden Williams (23 points, 16 rebounds) in regulation. Then Daniel Ewing (23 points) was disqualified 13 seconds into overtime when he picked up his fifth reaching in Ekene Ibekwe, leaving J.J. Redick the only Blue Devil left among the big three.

Lee Melchionni then fouled out, causing Mike Krzyzewski to go even further on his bench. Mike Jones hit both free throws and the Terps led 91-88 with 3:09 remaining in overtime.

Redick pulled Duke within 91-90 with two free throws, but Travis Garrison scored inside to give Maryland a 93-90 lead.

It was 95-90 after Chris McCray dropped two free throws after Sean Dockery's fifth foul and the Terps could have expanded their lead, but John Gilchrist missed two free throws. It didn't matter. McCray hit six free throws down the stretch to preserve the win.

Ibekwe, returning after missing two games with a cracked rib, came up big at the end of regulation. He tipped in Travis Garrison's miss and was fouled on the play. He converted the foul shot to give the Terps an 88-86 lead. But Duke tied the game at 88 on a DeMarcus Nelson basket.

The Terps had 33 seconds left, but Gilchrist missed an off-balance jumper beyond the foul line and Nik Caner-Medley's follow at the buzzer rimmed out and the game went to overtime.

The Terps had a five-point halftime lead, but it took the Blue Devils just 1:52 in the second half to get up on Maryland.

Redick, who was relatively quiet in the first half taking just five shots, hit two threes, the second giving Duke 52-50 lead. Williams scored on a three-point play and it was 59-55.

Redick then hit his third three of the second half, putting Duke up 62-57 with just over 15 minutes to play. It was 73-64 Duke when Ewing picked up a loose ball and laid it in, but then the Terps reeled off an 8-0 run with all the points coming out of the hot hand of Jones.

He converted one of two technical free throws, rewarded to the Terps after Ewing was whistled for a technical foul after getting tangled up with Ibekwe.

Then he hit two more foul shots and scored on a bank shot inside. Jones followed with a pull-up three-pointer that cut Duke's lead to 73-72 with 8:29 remaining.

Ibekwe then picked up Williams' fourth foul with 7:16 to play. Shavlik Randolph replaced him, but then he fouled out with 6:33 to play. McCray, who drew the foul that sent Randolph to the bench, converted two free throws to tie the game at 75.

Caner-Medley then scored three straight points to give Maryland a 78-75 advantage before Ewing tied the game with a three.

Williams got inside Garrison to give Duke an 80-78 lead with 3:45 to play. After a Garrison bucket, Williams pulled down a Ewing miss, scored and was fouled. His foul shot put Duke ahead 83-80.

After the Terps pulled to within 83-82, the Terps had two shots to take the lead, but missed on both opportunities. Dockery, who Maryland dared to shoot all evening, then buried a three as Duke led 86-82.

When the Terps beat the previously undefeated Blue Devils, 75-66, 18 days ago, they did it with their defense, holding the Blue Devils to a season-low 33 percent shooting, and their depth.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.