7 teenagers charged in Route 100 rock-throwing incident

February 10, 2005|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Maryland State Police have charged six Anne Arundel County teenagers and one Carroll County youth with assault, reckless endangerment and destruction of property stemming from a weekend rock-throwing incident at a Route 100 overpass that left several cars damaged.

Police say the suspects are male, ranging in age from 15 to 17. They were charged as juveniles and will not be identified, police said.

Authorities learned of the incident shortly before midnight Saturday, when police responded to the area of Route 100 at the WB&A Road overpass for a report of several disabled vehicles, according to a news release issued yesterday.

Troopers on the scene found several cars with flat tires and scratched paint; all had been damaged when they drove over large pieces of broken concrete that had been scattered in the roadway, the release said.

On Monday, investigators received a tip that several students at Fort Meade High School were involved, and that they had been overheard bragging about the damage they caused, police said.

The teens were charged late Tuesday and early yesterday, and all were released to their parents. Police said some of the suspects told investigators that they had been involved in numerous rock-throwing incidents, which they called "bridge parties," police said. No one was injured in the incidents.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.