Newsome not talking to Vikings about Moss

Minnesota denies receiver is on the trading block

February 08, 2005|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,SUN STAFF

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said yesterday that he has not had any discussions with Minnesota about trading for Randy Moss, and was unaware of Vikings owner Red McCombs giving his club permission to trade one of the league's top receivers.

ESPN reported Sunday that McCombs gave the Vikings personnel office and coach Mike Tice permission to trade Moss last week, but newspaper accounts out of Minneapolis yesterday had McCombs and other team officials denying the report.

"I have not talked to the Minnesota Vikings about Randy Moss," Newsome said.

If there are talks between the two teams, the Vikings have to initiate discussions because Moss has four years left on an eight-year, $75 million contract.

The Ravens, New York Jets and Oakland Raiders reportedly have interest in Moss. According to published reports, the Vikings want either two first-round draft picks or a first-round pick and a starter for Moss. According to a source close to the Ravens, Newsome is unlikely to part with any first-round pick.

Any team that acquires Moss would be responsible for the last four years of his contract, worth $36.5 million.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.