Stove ashes blamed for fire in Severn

December 16, 2004

Smoldering ashes from a wood stove are to blame for a two-alarm house fire yesterday afternoon in Severn, Anne Arundel fire officials said.

Emergency crews were called to the two-story home in the 500 block of Eason Drive after a woman on the second floor noticed smoke outside her window, said Capt. Michael Cox, a Fire Department spokesman.

Firefighters who arrived on the scene reported that fire and smoke had engulfed the home's rear porch, Cox said.

Cox said ashes from the home's wood stove had been disposed of in a plastic bucket on the porch and that the container ignited from the heat of the embers. It took four dozen firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control. No one was injured and damage is estimated at about $60,000.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.