City/county Digest


October 28, 2004|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

In Baltimore County

Two girls discover man's body floating in Dundalk creek

DUNDALK - Two girls at a playground near Bear Creek in Dundalk spotted a body yesterday afternoon floating about 25 feet from the shore, county police said.

About 2 p.m., members of the police dive team pulled the fully clothed body of a white, middle-aged man from the creek, near Park Haven Road, police said. The man had not been identified last night, police said.

Officer Shawn Vinson, a police spokesman, said there were no obvious signs of trauma.

Print shop worker critical after machine crushes arm

TOWSON - A Towson printing services employee was critically injured just after 12:30 p.m. yesterday when his right arm became tangled and crushed in a press machine, authorities said.

Co-workers at Junior Press Printing Services on York Road identified the man as Mike Dickinson, who lives in the 700 block of Anneslie Road, just north of the city line. It took emergency workers more than an hour to free Dickinson, who was conscious during the time, witnesses said. He was then flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was in critical condition yesterday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Police officer is injured during pursuit of vehicle

RANDALLSTOWN - A Baltimore County police officer was injured during a vehicle pursuit early yesterday on Liberty Road near the Carroll County line, police said.

Joseph Cohan, a county officer for two years and 10 months, was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center for nonlife-threatening injuries, police said. His vehicle, which had its lights and sirens on at the time, collided with a southbound Nissan Quest that had tried to turn left onto Chapman Road in front of it, police said. The Nissan's driver, Kenneth Muse, 21, of the 1300 block of Crofton Road in Northwood was not seriously injured in the crash, police said.

Cohan had been pursuing a Lexus GS 300 stolen from a nearby gas station. The driver was later arrested, but police did not release his name last night because he had not yet been charged.

In Baltimore City

GOP election judges sought for Tuesday election

Mayor Martin O'Malley's weekly e-mail newsletter, Taking Care of Business, said yesterday that the city is in need of Republican election judges to work at polling places Tuesday.

Registered Democrats vastly outnumber registered Republicans in the city, and finding GOP judges is difficult. Polls cannot open until judges from both parties are present.

Judges who are registered in Maryland and who can work a 14-hour day Tuesday are asked to call Abigail Goldman at the Baltimore City Board of Elections, 410-396-5581. Each is paid $125.

School spending increase can't be delayed, court says

The Maryland Court of Special Appeals ruled this week that a lower court order requiring the Baltimore schools to increase spending this year by at least $30 million dollars could not be delayed.

The state had asked the court to stay the ruling of Baltimore Circuit Judge Joseph H.H. Kaplan, who ruled last month that the system's plan to reduce a $58 million deficit and build a $20 million rainy day fund in the next two years had caused harmful cuts in classroom programs.

It was not clear yesterday whether the state would appeal the ruling.

City man, 19, gets 33 years for murdering 17-year-old

A 19-year-old Baltimore man was sentenced to 33 years in prison yesterday for second-degree murder and handgun charges, according to the Baltimore state's attorney's office.

Fajr Young, 19, of the 4100 block of Woodhaven Ave. was convicted in August in connection with the fatal shooting Dec. 18 of Eric Dickerson, 17. Prosecutors said Young came up behind Dickerson at a playground in the 3900 block of Fairfax Road and shot him once in the head and once in the back. He also shot at another man who fled the scene.

Circuit Judge Thomas J.S. Waxter Jr. sentenced Young to 30 years in prison for the second-degree murder - suspending all but 28 years - and ordered him to serve five years for use of a handgun in the crime. Young also received a 10-year suspended sentence for first-degree assault.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.