The number of homes and businesses affected by a combination water-main break and leaking gas line in Overlea grew to 1,600 yesterday after officials with Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. discovered that water had gotten into a gas main along Belair Road.
Water was restored to about 210 homes and 13 businesses late Saturday, hours after the dual breaks, which caused several furnace fires on Cardwell Avenue, were discovered.
But restoring gas has been much more difficult, said BGE spokeswoman Linda Foy. Utility workers initially found water in a damaged 6-inch gas line on Cardwell Avenue. They later discovered that there also was water in an undamaged 10-inch line on Belair Road that is connected to the smaller line, she said.
To pump the water out of the lines, utility workers must shut off the gas to about 1,600 customers, she said. Each cutoff must be done individually, in many cases by crews going inside the residence or business, she said.
Once the line is clear of water, utility workers will have to re-light affected customers' pilot lights from inside their homes.
Work "will definitely go into tomorrow," she said. "I can't be more specific yet."