Gilman ruins Loyola's day in OT, 26-19

Price scores game-winner as 'Hounds show top form in overcoming No. 1 Dons


High Schools

October 24, 2004|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Gilman's Sean Price said he'll probably walk gingerly for a while, but yesterday's overtime victory over visiting, No. 1 Loyola made his aches and pains worthwhile.

In the extra period, Price darted past a gantlet of defenders for 7 yards and a touchdown, then watched Luke Bell's second extra-point try sail through the uprights in a 26-19 victory before more than 2,000 in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

Ben Eaton ended Loyola's overtime opportunity by intercepting quarterback Joe Lennon, whose 6-yard touchdown run with no time left in regulation had tied the game at 19. Brendan Small's extra-point try was blocked by Gilman's Kevin Carroll, forcing overtime.

"They were hitting my legs, my back, my side every play. I'm hurting right now, but I was determined," said Price, whose No. 3 Greyhounds (7-1 overall, 2-0 league) have the inside track toward the MIAA A Conference title, which would be their sixth under eighth-year coach Biff Poggi.

The loss ended an emotional run by the Dons, whose key injured players included All-Metro linebacker/quarterback Brady Smith (ankle).

They also played while concerned about teammate Van Brooks, a junior receiver and defensive back who remains hospitalized and in serious condition, according to coach Brian Abbott, with a spinal-cord injury suffered while making a tackle during a victory at Georgetown Prep on Sept. 25.

"They played with a lot of heart, represented themselves and the Brooks family well," said Abbott, whose Dons (7-1, 1-1) are defending league champs. "But Gilman deserves credit for winning a battle of two great teams."

After a scoreless first quarter, Gilman scored twice within a two-minute span of the second for a 13-0 lead. Price's 13-yard run ended a nine-play, 56-yard drive for a 7-0 lead, and Reggie Fugett made an end-zone recovery of Travis Hale's punt block.

With Smith lined up at running back, Lennon replaced him and had to overcome two early sacks by Jeffrey Hardy and one each by Andrew Pyke and Eugene Simms.

But as Brooks' mother, Shelly, looked on from the stands, Lennon rebounded, going 13-for-22 for 220 yards and an 80-yard scoring pass to Devin Gordon.

Fugett intercepted Lennon, who also had two rushing touchdowns in the game, on Loyola's next drive, but Bell's missed 34-yard field-goal attempt gave the Dons possession once again.

Lennon then engineered an eight-play, 80-yard drive, ending it with a diving, 4-yard touchdown run. During the drive, he completed passes of 17 and 23 yards to his older brother, Bobby Lennon (nine receptions, 101 yards). Small's extra-point kick made it 13-all with 22 seconds left in the half.

But Gilman's defense capitalized yet again for a 19-13 lead with 1:44 left in the third quarter. Eaton, who had earlier broken up a pass in the end zone, recovered a fumble at Loyola's 3-yard line to set up quarterback Marco Simmons' diving score.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.